As California College of the Arts moves toward unification in San Francisco, the Oakland Campus Legacy Committee is working with alum and faculty emeritus Thomas Wojak to produce an edition of ten prints, each one representing a decade on the Oakland campus. The Treadwell Estate was purchased by the college in 1922 and next year, 2022, marks exactly one hundred years on the site.
The series, entitled A Garden Campus, features prints that focus on notable aspects of the college’s history with throughlines that highlight the garden nature of the grounds, the significance of craft practices, and the enduring values of the college’s motto “Theory and Practice.” This exhibition highlights some of the original source material that inspired the designers.
Representing a diverse cross section of the CCA community, ten current and former faculty artists were invited to design one of the decade prints. The prints will be featured throughout the year as part of our celebratory programming and proceeds from the sale of the prints will help fund Oakland campus Legacy programming and projects.
This project and accompanying exhibition would not have been possible without the help and support of many across our community. We would like to thank the following:
- Johnny Galvan, DFAS printing
- Cody McCabe, exhibition vinyl training and support
- Jennine Scarboro, archives research and digitization
- Pearl Shen, design assistance
These, and subsequent prints, are designed by:
- Bob Aufuldish (Graphic Design) 1920s
- Curtis Arima (Jewelry Metal Arts) 1930s
- Michael Wertz (Illustration) 1940s
- Victoria Wagner (First Year Program) 1950s
- Irene Cheng + Janette Kim (Architecture) 1960s
- Eduardo Pineda (Critical Ethnic Studies) 1970s
- Kari Marboe (Ceramics) 1980s
- Thomas Wojak (Printmedia) 1990s
- Kim Anno (Painting/Drawing) 2000s
- Angela Hennessy (Textiles) 2010s
Marketing and programming was managed by Lisa Jonas and exhibition text was compiled by Deborah Valoma.
The first three prints in the series (1920s, 1930s, and 1940s) are currently available for sale as well as pre-sales for a limited number of boxed sets of the entire series. Visit the online store for more info and to purchase.