Student Library Cards
New students can register for library privileges as soon as they get their CCA ID card. Your CCA ID card becomes your library card when you have registered for library privileges and get a library barcode. You must present your valid CCA library card when checking out materials.
Students may checkout:
- Books for 14 days
- Videos and magazines for 7 days
- Reserve items for 2-3 hours or 2 days
- Materials Library Samples for 2 days
- Undergraduates: 15 items
- Graduates: 20 items
- Videos and magazines: 2 out a time
- Reserves: 2 at a time, no renewals
- Materials Library Samples: 3 items
Patrons may request most library materials to be sent from one campus library to the other, in addition to returning checked out material to either campus. The requests, or holds, can be placed from the online catalog and will be held for pickup at the circulation desk for up to 1 week.
- Undergraduates: 3 at a time
- Graduates: 6 at a time
It is each borrower's responsibility to know and honor due dates. Patrons will be charged late fines or fees for overdue materials. Borrowers are responsible for the replacement of items lost or damaged due to negligence.
Fines are charged for overdue materials and items that have been damaged or lost. Administrative holds will be placed on students' records for charges related to outstanding or damaged items, preventing registration for classes and receipt of transcripts and/or diploma.
- Books: 25¢ per day
- Videos and magazines: 50¢ per day
- Reserve items: 25¢/hr or 50¢/day
Lost or damaged items will be charged a replacement fee equal to the the current cost of the item, a $20 processing fee, as well as accrued fines.
Pre-College & non-degree student privileges
Pre-College students have special privileges and may borrow up to five books and videos. All items are due on the Friday before the session ends. Non-degree students who are enrolled in one or more CCA course for credit, including those in fellows and certificate programs, have the same privileges as full-time students.
CCA Extension student privileges
CCA Extension students who are not enrolled in a CCA degree program or a CCA course for credit do not have library borrowing privileges, but they are welcome to use library resources and services on-site. This includes students in Summer Atelier and Young Artists Studio.
San Francisco Public Libraries
The San Francisco Public Library offers free library cards to California residents, giving access to academic databases, historical newspapers, and broad general interest collections. The San Francisco History Center contains maps and historic photographs of the City.
A card from SFPL also allows you to borrow books from participating libraries around California and Nevada.
Alumni Library Cards
Your CCA alumni card serves as your library card. To obtain or activate an alumni library card, go to the circulation desk at either library between the hours of 9-4 Monday-Friday. Borrowing privileges are complimentary for the first year after graduation; thereafter cards are $25 per year.
Only alumni living in the Bay Area are eligible for borrowing privileges. You will be asked to show proof of a local address to process your card.
Alumni may check out a maximum of 10 items, with one renewal
- Books - 2 weeks
- Current magazines and videos - 1 week
Overdue fines are 25¢ per day for books and 50¢ per day for videos and magazines. Items that are more than five weeks overdue will be billed for replacement. The bill includes the cost of the book, a $20 processing fee, as well as accrued fines. Alumni who habitually keep items overdue or who have outstanding fines will have their library borrowing privileges revoked.
Most of the library collections are available for alumni use, with a few restrictions:
- Alumni may use the library's commercial databases only while in the library.
- Library computers are designated for student and faculty use, therefore alumni may not have access to computers when there is high student demand. The libraries have wireless internet access, and alumni are encouraged to bring a laptop to use while at the library.
- Inter-library loan services are not available for alumni.
- Alumni are not included in CCA's online printing account system, and therefore are unable to print from computers in the libraries.